Monday, June 04, 2007

How Much Did You Pay for That?

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but it kind of annoys me when people ask me how much I paid for a particular item. Chalk it up to natural curiosity, but I still think that it's kind of rude.

When I mentioned that I was putting my condo on the market, an acquaintenance immediately asked, "For how much?" When I got a hair cut the other day, the owner of the salon said, "Hey...you got a new car. How much did you pay for that?" In the elevator a few weeks ago, a total stranger asked, "I like your purse. Where did you get it? And how much did it cost?"

I mean, most of this information is publicly available (e.g., real estate list prices and closing prices). And we all know people who actually volunteer that information, either because they're insecure and want you to think that they're rich and successful or because they want you to admire their bargain hunting skills. I tend to fall into the later category. If I get a great deal on something, and I'm excited about it, I might mention it to a friend or blog about it. But more often than not, I'd rather keep that information to myself. For example, I bought several sets of fine bone china from overstock.com for much less than you would have paid for comparable dinnerware from Crate and Barrel.

So, what do you think? Is it rude to ask random strangers or even acquaintences how much they paid for something? In my mind, it's kind of like asking someone about their net worth or how much they earn.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is rude if you are asked by the stranger. And I also do not like to be asked about the cost but if it is an expensive thing and I was able to pay for it (for example: a great car), it will be pleasant to answer.

Karen said...

People are different. For some such questions are quite usual. I don't like when I'm asked about the price of this or that thing.

aurogra 100mg said...

Thank you for being such an inspiration to me and others around you.
I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles.