Wednesday, August 30, 2006

An Apple Doesn't Fall Far...

My brother's family was in town for a few days last week. My ten year old nephew, in particular, is just the sweetest and most thoughtful kid in the world. But I was reminded that kids say and do the darndest things.

We were shopping for souvenirs at Navy Pier, and my nephew is totally into glass sculptures and crystals. Apparently, he'd been saving his pennies for this trip since early April. And he was about to buy an $8 crystal pendant for himself when his dad pointed out that the pendant should be worn by a girl. So, he paused and thought about it for a few seconds, and then decided that he wanted to buy it for his little sister. But when he went up to the cashier, he asked her if he could buy it for $4 instead of the $5 that was posted on the sign. The woman, who was talking on her cell phone at the time, agreed to accept $4. So, then my nephew decides that he wants to buy a larger crystal to hang in his room. And again, he went up to the cashier and asked if she'd accept $1 less for the item than the price that was posted. This time, she wouldn't budge on the price. So, my nephew just shrugged and handed over his hard earned $8.

When he came over and explained what had happened, I was absolutely amazed that he'd haggled with an adult. Where did he learn to negotiate like that? God only knows, but I suspect it's from observing his frugal dad.

No comments: