Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Reactionary Behavior We Learn from Our Parents

One of my friends confessed that she absolutely hates DIY projects. She'll readily outsource mundane tasks that most people would do on their own. But the way she tells it, she grew up in a relatively poor household. Her parents did everything on their own. But they both worked full-time jobs, and were constantly bickering about all of the household stuff that they had to do - things like cooking, cleaning, paying the bills, mowing the lawn, shoveling the driveway, etc. So, my friend decided that she didn't want to be like her parents. She'd rather pay someone else to do all the unpleasant tasks and avoid the infighting.

I think there's some merit to my friend's argument. But as with all things in life, you can take it to an unhealthy extreme. I'm a fairly neat person, but I pay a maid service to deep clean my condo once a month. At the same time, I can't see myself hiring a personal shopper to hand pick groceries for me and then have them delivered, even though it's one of my least favorite things to do.

No comments: