Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Father's Day Gift

In the past, I've been fairly uncreative in my choice of Father's Day gifts. What do you get for a guy who doesn't have a lot of hobbies and has very simple tastes? So, I usually wind up buying an item of clothing or a book, plus a card and dinner at the restaurant of his choice.

But this year, I started early. And after much angsting, I decided to buy him a Homedics Therapist Select Quad Roller Massaging Cushion from Bed Bath & Beyond. I gave it to him a week early because I wanted to make sure that he liked it. And thankfully, he did. Apparently, he's been wanting one for a while now, but my mom kept balking at the cost. Unlike some of the cheaper models, this one has four rollers that provide a really deep massage. Personally, I think the motors are almost too strong 'cause they really dig deep into your back.

Anyway, I've been in sort of a pensive mood lately about my parents. Two of my co-workers lost their moms to cancer this past month. So, it's been a somewhat harsh reminder that my parents are getting up there in years. Life as I know it could change in an instant.

My dad just turned 65 last month, and he's been noticeably tired lately. He started a new job in February because his old employer sold all of their assets and the new company moved all of the operations to California. The commute to and from the new job is pretty brutal, but my dad feels the need to work for financial reasons. My mom keeps herself busy with church related activities and household chores. She has a lot of hobbies, such as gardening and sewing. But she's convinced that she's going to die 'young', so she keeps harassing me to get married. Like most traditional moms, her sole remaining duty and responsibility in this life is to marry me off. Anyway, all this to say that I'm trying to make every birthday and holiday with my parents count.

If you haven't told your parents lately that you love them, please take the time to do so this week. And if you're looking for a cool gift for Father's Day, try the massaging cushion.

No comments: