Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Visa vs. MasterCard's Extended Warranty Protection

Okay. Gulp. I pulled the trigger this morning and purchased my new laptop. I decided to charge the entire amount on my Chase Cash Plus Rewards Visa instead of my PerfectCard Platinum MasterCard for one simple reason: the extended warranty coverage. Visa trumps MasterCard.

According to the Standard MasterCard Platinum Guide to Benefits, to get coverage on a purhased item, the item has to "have an original manufacturer's warranty of twelve (12) months or less."

Unfortunately (or fortunately) for me, the Lenovo ThinkPad Z60t comes with a standard three (3) year manufacturer's warranty on parts and labor.

The Visa Guide to Benefits (for standard cards, mind you....not platinum) indicates that their Extended Warranty Protection "doubles the free repair period under the original manufacturer's written U.S. repair warranty up to one (1) additional year on eligible warranties of three (3) years or less." Now that's more like it!

Life takes Visa!

2 comments:

Warrantech said...

I would go for master card's as master cards are widely accepted in comparison to visa

Johan Michal said...

There are various benefits of having master card specially in making small transactions or it is easily available so i would prefer to have master card.

AMT Warranty Corp